NAC to discuss Food Security Bill today
New Delhi: The National Advisory Council (NAC) headed by Congress President Sonia Gandhi will meet here Friday to discuss the framework of the draft Food Security Bill.
According to sources, the NAC would also discuss various components of the bill, including inclusive and enhanced public distribution system, child and maternal nutrition, special programmes for destitute and vulnerable groups, PDS reforms and enabling provisions.
The previous meeting held on August 30 could not finalise the draft bill, which would then be sent for the government`s consideration.
On July 14, the NAC had recommended distribution of subsidised food grains to everyone in at least 200 most disadvantaged districts across the country by April next year.
Earlier, Sonia Gandhi had sought improvements in the draft bill cleared by an Empowered Group of Ministers (EGoM).
The Bill seeks to provide legal right to the poor to get rice or wheat at Rs. three per kilogram.
The 14-member NAC was re-constituted on June 1 and is expected to advise the Government on various programmes. (ANI)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up