NAC to discuss Food Security Bill today
New Delhi: The National Advisory Council (NAC) headed by Congress President Sonia Gandhi will meet here Friday to discuss the framework of the draft Food Security Bill.
According to sources, the NAC would also discuss various components of the bill, including inclusive and enhanced public distribution system, child and maternal nutrition, special programmes for destitute and vulnerable groups, PDS reforms and enabling provisions.
The previous meeting held on August 30 could not finalise the draft bill, which would then be sent for the government`s consideration.
On July 14, the NAC had recommended distribution of subsidised food grains to everyone in at least 200 most disadvantaged districts across the country by April next year.
Earlier, Sonia Gandhi had sought improvements in the draft bill cleared by an Empowered Group of Ministers (EGoM).
The Bill seeks to provide legal right to the poor to get rice or wheat at Rs. three per kilogram.
The 14-member NAC was re-constituted on June 1 and is expected to advise the Government on various programmes. (ANI)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'