NAC to discuss Food Security Bill today
New Delhi: The National Advisory Council (NAC) headed by Congress President Sonia Gandhi will meet here Friday to discuss the framework of the draft Food Security Bill.
According to sources, the NAC would also discuss various components of the bill, including inclusive and enhanced public distribution system, child and maternal nutrition, special programmes for destitute and vulnerable groups, PDS reforms and enabling provisions.
The previous meeting held on August 30 could not finalise the draft bill, which would then be sent for the government`s consideration.
On July 14, the NAC had recommended distribution of subsidised food grains to everyone in at least 200 most disadvantaged districts across the country by April next year.
Earlier, Sonia Gandhi had sought improvements in the draft bill cleared by an Empowered Group of Ministers (EGoM).
The Bill seeks to provide legal right to the poor to get rice or wheat at Rs. three per kilogram.
The 14-member NAC was re-constituted on June 1 and is expected to advise the Government on various programmes. (ANI)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof