Nadia case: Ex-Goa Minister Pacheco in judicial custody

On the run for nearly a month, Fransisco M Pacheco surrendered before sessions court and was remanded to two days judicial custody.

Panaji: On the run for nearly a month,
Goa`s former Tourism Minister Fransisco Mickey Pacheco today
surrendered before the Sessions Court in Margao in connection
with the death of his friend Nadia Torrado.

He has been remanded to two-days of judicial custody.
The NCP leader`s anticipatory bail plea was rejected
by the Supreme Court on July 1, leaving him with no other
option but to give himself up.

He surrendered before the Sessions Court Judge U V
Bakre this morning, minutes after his close aide Lyndon
Monteiro, also booked in the case, appeared before the police
responding to summons.

Lyndon has been granted anticipatory bail by the
Supreme Court.

Torrado (28), described by the 46-year-old legislator
as his "close friend", died on May 30, a fortnight after she
allegedly consumed poison.

Crime Branch has booked Pacheco for abetment of
suicide, while Monteiro, who was Officer on Special Duty
(OSD), has been charged with destruction of evidence.

Pacheco resigned from the Cabinet on June 5, a day after
he was quizzed by the Crime Branch for more than eight hours.
Thereafter, he had gone missing.

The controversial lawmaker, through his lawyers, kept on
trying for anticipatory bail moving from Sessions Court to
High Court and then to SC, but failed in his attempt.

Police have kept a tight security around the Crime Branch
office, where several of his supporters had gathered.

Meanwhile, Monteiro appeared before the Crime Branch
almost a month after he went into hiding. The former OSD who
also held key posts like Vice-Chairman of Goa Tourism
Development Corporation (GTDC) reached Crime Branch office at
around 10.30 am.

"I have full faith in the judiciary. I will provide all
necessary cooperation required to investigate Nadia`s death,
which is actually a suicide," Monteiro said before appearing
before the police.

Pacheco`s aide, who was summoned on June 6, said he was
not hiding but was at his residence at Verna, 25 kms from
here. "I was busy approaching courts seeking anticipatory
bail. Police came to my house only once when I was not there.
They never visited again," he claimed.

Denying the charge levelled by police, Monteiro said he
was ready to provide all relevant information. "I do not want
to comment on anything related to the case as the Supreme Court was still hearing my anticipatory bail plea which will come up again after three weeks," he said.


By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can find out more by clicking this link