Naga rebel leaders meet Chidambaram
New Delhi: Top NSCN-IM leaders Isaac Chishi
Swu and Thuingaleng Muivah today met Home Minister P
Chidambaram and discussed with him the ongoing peace process
to find an amicable solution to the vexed Naga issue.
During their 20 minute meeting, NSCN-IM `chairman` Swu
and `general secretary` Muivah apprised the home minister
various aspects of the peace talks between the government
interlocutor R S Pandey and them for an "honourable solution"
acceptable to all.
"Things have been much clearer now," Muivah said after
the meeting, also attended by Pandey.
Asked when an agreement could be reached, he said, "We
are working for that and we have the expectation."
The NSCN-IM and the interlocutor have been engaged in
intense discussions on some of the proposals moved to find out
a mutually acceptable political settlement based on the
uniqueness of Naga history.
In July, the government and the NSCN-IM had announced
that they "narrowed" down differences and had been working out
a settlement in the "shortest possible time".
Sources said under the proposed peace, the government
offered to provide maximum autonomy to Nagaland under various
provisions of the Constitution but is unlikely to accept the
demand of the unification of Naga-inhabited areas.
The issue is highly controversial and is opposed by
Manipur, Arunachal Pradesh and Assam.
The Naga group has been holding parleys with Pandey to
iron out differences on several other vexed issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- CHSE Odisha +2 Results 2015 (chseodisha.nic.in): Odisha Board Class 12th Result 2015 declared on orissaresults.nic.in