Naga rebel leaders meet Chidambaram
New Delhi: Top NSCN-IM leaders Isaac Chishi
Swu and Thuingaleng Muivah today met Home Minister P
Chidambaram and discussed with him the ongoing peace process
to find an amicable solution to the vexed Naga issue.
During their 20 minute meeting, NSCN-IM `chairman` Swu
and `general secretary` Muivah apprised the home minister
various aspects of the peace talks between the government
interlocutor R S Pandey and them for an "honourable solution"
acceptable to all.
"Things have been much clearer now," Muivah said after
the meeting, also attended by Pandey.
Asked when an agreement could be reached, he said, "We
are working for that and we have the expectation."
The NSCN-IM and the interlocutor have been engaged in
intense discussions on some of the proposals moved to find out
a mutually acceptable political settlement based on the
uniqueness of Naga history.
In July, the government and the NSCN-IM had announced
that they "narrowed" down differences and had been working out
a settlement in the "shortest possible time".
Sources said under the proposed peace, the government
offered to provide maximum autonomy to Nagaland under various
provisions of the Constitution but is unlikely to accept the
demand of the unification of Naga-inhabited areas.
The issue is highly controversial and is opposed by
Manipur, Arunachal Pradesh and Assam.
The Naga group has been holding parleys with Pandey to
iron out differences on several other vexed issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai