Nagpur station to be made a world-class terminal
Nagpur: A two-member expert team from Belgium has evinced keen interest in further developing the Nagpur railway station into a world-class terminal.
After visiting Nagpur station, the team has agreed to draft a master plan to be prepared within six months.
Technical director Marc De Vreese and architect Eric Kellens of Euro Station, a Belgian government-owned company, who have extensive expertise in transforming historical railway stations into modern international terminals, said there was enough scope for developing Nagpur into a world-class stoppage.
Indian Railways had on August 12, 2012, signed an agreement with Belgium to modernise and re-develop some of the country`s railway stations, Divisional Railway Manager of Nagpur division (CR), Brijesh Dixit said.
The Belgium team was in the city as part of its commitment to explore possibilities to redevelop Nagpur, which is among 50 stations designated to be developed across the world.
Dixit said the same team had transformed historic Antwerp station in Belgium, which was facing demolition.
The team was impressed to note that how 125 trains and 60,000 passengers were handled by the administration daily with limited resources.
The team visited the base kitchen, retiring rooms, lobby etc and were positive about the scope for development. It also looked into the possibilities of easing congestion and create better mobility. The station re-development will include technical modifications, Vreese said.
The station building which has completed 83 years is a heritage structure and utmost care will be taken to develop it without damaging its original fabric, he added.
"Nagpur in Central Railway which connects north-south and east-west, is the pilot project to start with. Things will begin with master planning, followed by technical feasibility," Vreese said.
"By November this year, all ground work will be done by steering and working groups of experts to determine and define scope and modalities of activities and projects. Things will be finalised during the Belgium Prince`s visit to India in November," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!