Nagpur station to be made a world-class terminal
Nagpur: A two-member expert team from Belgium has evinced keen interest in further developing the Nagpur railway station into a world-class terminal.
After visiting Nagpur station, the team has agreed to draft a master plan to be prepared within six months.
Technical director Marc De Vreese and architect Eric Kellens of Euro Station, a Belgian government-owned company, who have extensive expertise in transforming historical railway stations into modern international terminals, said there was enough scope for developing Nagpur into a world-class stoppage.
Indian Railways had on August 12, 2012, signed an agreement with Belgium to modernise and re-develop some of the country`s railway stations, Divisional Railway Manager of Nagpur division (CR), Brijesh Dixit said.
The Belgium team was in the city as part of its commitment to explore possibilities to redevelop Nagpur, which is among 50 stations designated to be developed across the world.
Dixit said the same team had transformed historic Antwerp station in Belgium, which was facing demolition.
The team was impressed to note that how 125 trains and 60,000 passengers were handled by the administration daily with limited resources.
The team visited the base kitchen, retiring rooms, lobby etc and were positive about the scope for development. It also looked into the possibilities of easing congestion and create better mobility. The station re-development will include technical modifications, Vreese said.
The station building which has completed 83 years is a heritage structure and utmost care will be taken to develop it without damaging its original fabric, he added.
"Nagpur in Central Railway which connects north-south and east-west, is the pilot project to start with. Things will begin with master planning, followed by technical feasibility," Vreese said.
"By November this year, all ground work will be done by steering and working groups of experts to determine and define scope and modalities of activities and projects. Things will be finalised during the Belgium Prince`s visit to India in November," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing