Naidu for giving national capital a facelift
New Delhi: Hoping to make the national capital a word class city, Urban Development Minister Venkaiah Naidu today initiated steps for formulating a blue print for its beautification and better upkeep.
In a meeting with senior officials of Ministry and CPWD, Naidu raised the issues of how moderate showers brought the city traffic to grinding halt, littering and improper drainage system.
He pointed out that presentation of the national capital in terms of maintenance of its roads, pathways, vacant spaces, popular monuments and places besides other properties could be much better conveying better aesthetics, according to an aide of Naidu.
Voicing concern over the state of affairs, Naidu maintained that Delhi certainly does not reflect fully the status of the emerging India, its capabilities and aspirations of its residents for a better life.
Naidu also pointed out how a citizen on his first visit to the national capital or a visiting foreign delegation would feel about Delhi and its upkeep. Does a drive from international airport terminal to any central locality of either NDMC region or other parts of the city leave a positive impression about the city?
Besides, Naidu raised the question of how residents of national capital feel about their city and why most of the government buildings and other properties convey such a poor impression.
He also discussed how Delhi was placed when compared to capitals of other countries similarly placed in terms of either economic development or international importance.
According to Naidu, the vacant spaces, roads and other public utility places could be better managed for the benefit of common Delhiites.
The Minister`s concern was shared by those who participated in the deliberations. Multiplicity of authorities involving agencies like NDMC, MCD,CPWD and DDA was stated as one of the reasons for the state of affairs in the capital.
"The Minister asked Urban Development Secretary Sudhir Krishna to convene a meeting of all concerned departments to finalise action plan for the beautification of the city," said the aide.
Naidu directed UD Secretary to convey the concern of the government to the departments about cleanliness and proper upkeep of office premises.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family