Nainital HC stays arrest of Ramdev’s aide
New Delhi: In a major reprieve to yoga guru Baba Ramdev, the Nainital High Court on Friday stayed the arrest of his close associate Acharya Balkrishna, whose deadline to appear before the CBI ends today.
The High Court directed Balkrishna to surrender his passport within ten days and asked him not to leave the country till August 29.
Baba Ramdev’s close confidant Balkrishna faces cheating and forgery charges framed against him by the CBI.
Despite tightening the noose around people close to Baba Ramdev, the CBI is still cluless about Balkrishna’s whereabouts.
The probe agency has already issued a lookout notice and sounded an alert at all major transit points and airports to prevent Balkrishna from slipping out of India.
Continuing his tirade against the Congress-led UPA government, Baba Ramdev yesterday defended his closest aide, claiming that he is currently in Haridwar and his documents are not forged.
"Acharya Balkrishna has not gone anywhere. He is very much here. He is very much in Patanjali Ashram," Ramdev said at a hurriedly convened press conference here.
Accusing the Centre of going soft on terrorists, the yoga teacher wondered why it was targeting Balkrishna.
"Instead of focusing on black money and corruption, the Centre is diverting all its energy on running a malicious campaign against me and Acharya Balkrishna," he said.
The yoga guru also wanted to know on what basis the CBI had issued a lookout notice and wanted cancellation of Balkrishna`s passport when the investigations have not yet been completed and chargesheet is yet to be filed.
He also said Balkrishna was born in India and will remain in India till his last breath.
He also asked the media not to present Balkrishna as a criminal.
Ramdev also said he is not scared of anything and reiterated his threat to raise a force of 12,000 youths to launch a renewed campaign against corruption and black money.
Interestingly, Balkrishna had also sought 20 days time to appear before the CBI for questioning in a case under the Passport Act, claiming he has applied for a UK visa and his travel document is with that mission.
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- IPL Betting: Lalit Modi names three cricketers who were bribed
- PM Modi lays foundation stone of IARI at Barhi: As it happened
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report