NAM Summit not meant to be slap to anyone: PM
On Board PM`s Special Aircraft: "Non- Aligned Movement Summit is not meant to be a slap to any country," Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said on Friday amidst projection by some that holding of the international meet in Tehran was a diplomatic victory for sanction-hit Iran and a `slap` to the US.
"NAM Summit is not meant to be a slap to any one country. NAM has a set agenda. This must be the 60th Summit. Iran has been chosen as its chairperson. Therefore, it is only appropriate that the Summit should be (held) in Iran which is a very important country in our region and in the developing world," Singh told reporters accompanying him on his return from Tehran where he attended the Summit of the 120-nation grouping.
The Summit was held amidst reservation by the US and some other western countries to the venue Tehran.
The Prime Minister also said "Iranians are very proud of the nation. They have many things to give to the world. Therefore, meeting in Iran is no less significant."
Singh, who held crucial bilateral meetings with Iranian leadership, including Iran`s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei, said there was a lot of interest in Iran in doing business with India and getting Indian investment in infrastructure.
"There are, of course, difficulties due to imposition of sanctions. Subject to that, we will explore ways and means to expand our relations," he said.
Asked if India would mediate between Iran and the US, he said "no issue of India getting to solve the problem..."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs