NAM Summit not meant to be slap to anyone: PM
On Board PM`s Special Aircraft: "Non- Aligned Movement Summit is not meant to be a slap to any country," Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said on Friday amidst projection by some that holding of the international meet in Tehran was a diplomatic victory for sanction-hit Iran and a `slap` to the US.
"NAM Summit is not meant to be a slap to any one country. NAM has a set agenda. This must be the 60th Summit. Iran has been chosen as its chairperson. Therefore, it is only appropriate that the Summit should be (held) in Iran which is a very important country in our region and in the developing world," Singh told reporters accompanying him on his return from Tehran where he attended the Summit of the 120-nation grouping.
The Summit was held amidst reservation by the US and some other western countries to the venue Tehran.
The Prime Minister also said "Iranians are very proud of the nation. They have many things to give to the world. Therefore, meeting in Iran is no less significant."
Singh, who held crucial bilateral meetings with Iranian leadership, including Iran`s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei, said there was a lot of interest in Iran in doing business with India and getting Indian investment in infrastructure.
"There are, of course, difficulties due to imposition of sanctions. Subject to that, we will explore ways and means to expand our relations," he said.
Asked if India would mediate between Iran and the US, he said "no issue of India getting to solve the problem..."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter