NAM Summit not meant to be slap to anyone: PM
On Board PM`s Special Aircraft: "Non- Aligned Movement Summit is not meant to be a slap to any country," Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said on Friday amidst projection by some that holding of the international meet in Tehran was a diplomatic victory for sanction-hit Iran and a `slap` to the US.
"NAM Summit is not meant to be a slap to any one country. NAM has a set agenda. This must be the 60th Summit. Iran has been chosen as its chairperson. Therefore, it is only appropriate that the Summit should be (held) in Iran which is a very important country in our region and in the developing world," Singh told reporters accompanying him on his return from Tehran where he attended the Summit of the 120-nation grouping.
The Summit was held amidst reservation by the US and some other western countries to the venue Tehran.
The Prime Minister also said "Iranians are very proud of the nation. They have many things to give to the world. Therefore, meeting in Iran is no less significant."
Singh, who held crucial bilateral meetings with Iranian leadership, including Iran`s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei, said there was a lot of interest in Iran in doing business with India and getting Indian investment in infrastructure.
"There are, of course, difficulties due to imposition of sanctions. Subject to that, we will explore ways and means to expand our relations," he said.
Asked if India would mediate between Iran and the US, he said "no issue of India getting to solve the problem..."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan