Nanavati panel examining SIT documents in three riot cases
Ahmedabad: The Nanavati Commission,
probing the 2002 post-Godhra riots in Gujarat, today said it
was examining the documents prepared by the Supreme Court-
appointed Special Investigation Team (SIT) in Gulburg, Naroda
Patiya and Naroda Gam cases.
Justice G T Nanavati, during hearing on a petition
seeking summoning of Chief Minister Narendra Modi, said they
have received huge bulk of documents from SIT, which is
probing nearly a dozen riots afresh, in the three cases.
He said the panel had asked for the documents from SIT
along with the statement of Modi which the probe agency had
recorded on March 27-28 this year.
Except for Modi`s statement, we have got all documents
related to the investigation done by SIT. These include
statements of witnesses and some political leaders, Nanavati,
a former Supreme Court Judge who heads the commission, said.
The documents related to Gulburg Society riots had
been examined, while assessment of those related to Naroda Gam
and Naroda Patiya may be completed in a fortnight, he said.
The SIT documents were being studied to see if there
was any new material which could be helpful for them, the
Gujarat Government-appointed commission said.
The term of the Commission was extended till December
31 for the 14th time in June this year.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know