Nancy Powell is next US Ambassador to India
Washington: Nancy J Powell, a career diplomat
with wide experience in South Asia, has been named by US
President Barack Obama as the next ambassador to India, the
first woman to be nominated for the coveted post.
64-year-old Powell would replace Timothy J Roemer, who
resigned from his post in April 2011 following a two-year
stint as US envoy to India, after going through a confirmation
process by the Senate. Peter Burleigh is currently serving as
the Charge d`affaires of the US embassy in India.
Powell, a career member of the Senior Foreign Service,
earlier served as US ambassador to Pakistan and Nepal and also
held various diplomatic posts in Kolkata, New Delhi, Dhaka,
Kathmandu, Islamabad and Ottawa.
"These fine public servants both bring a depth of
experience and tremendous dedication to their new roles,"
Obama said in a statement announcing Powell`s appointment and
that of Dick Berner, who has been named Director, Office of
Financial Research, Department of Treasury.
"Our nation will be well-served by these individuals, and
I look forward to working with them in the months and years to
come," he said.
Presently serving as Director General of the Foreign
Service and Director of Human Resources at the Department of
State, Powell was conferred the personal rank of Career
Ambassador in January 2011.
Prior to her current assignment, Powell served as
Ambassador to Nepal (2007-2009), Ambassador to Pakistan
(2002-2004), Ambassador to Ghana (2001-2002), and Ambassador
to Uganda (1997-1999).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset