Nancy Powell meeting Narendra Modi is an internal corrective of US administration: Arun Jaitley
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Senior BJP leader and Leader of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley said on Thursday said that the decision by the US administration to resume contact with Narendra Modi, the party`s PM candidate for 2014 polls, appeared to be based on their suo moto assessment of the domestic situation in India.
Writing a blog on his official site, Jaitley said - “The US ambassador Nancy Powell has met the Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi today. The decision by the US administration to resume contact with the Gujarat Chief Minister appears to be based on their suo moto assessment of the domestic situation in India. I regard it as an internal corrective of the US administration.”
He added - “The earlier decision not to keep contact with an elected representative in India did not appear to be based on any cogent evidence or court verdicts. It was based on excessive propaganda in the media and elsewhere created by certain NGOs.”
The BJP leader further writes - “For us in the BJP, the meeting is a part of the diplomatic routine. The Gujarat Chief Minister is unquestionably the frontrunner in the 2014 General Elections. He has convincingly won the State assembly elections three times. The earlier decision of some countries not to deal with him was a failure of India’s foreign policy.”
He also said - “It is not for a political party or a State government, to react to another country’s response of dealing or otherwise with elected representatives in India. It was for the External Affairs Ministry (MEA) to react to it. Did the MEA under the UPA fail in this regard? Unquestionably it did.”
On Congress leader Salman Khurshid`s comment that Modi could never be the brand ambassador of India, Jaitley had this to say - “The reaction of the External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid to this meeting is self-evident. The Congress Party is today a demoralized lot. For it the writing on the wall is very clear. Its best case scenario is a defeat in the elections. The logical scenario appears to be indicating a complete rout. Its vote base has disappeared. The arrogance of its leaders still remains. That arrogance is evident even in the reactions in the past few hours.”
“The External Affairs Minister who should have protected the dignity of an elected representative in India appears distressed even as the US Ambassador met the Gujarat Chief Minister,” he also said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth