Naqvi gets threatening call after Afzal Guru’s execution, IB to probe
New Delhi: Five days after BJP leader Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi complained about receiving a threatening call, government on Friday asked the Intelligence Bureau to conduct a probe into it.
Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde, who came under attack over the "inaction", told Naqvi this evening that he had asked the IB to investigate the matter, sources said.
The action came five days after Naqvi informed Shinde as well as Home Secretary R K Singh about two calls received by him on February 16 from an international phone number, the BJP leader said.
Naqvi, BJP Vice President who has been vocal against terrorism, said he was warned of dire consequences if he spoke against Pakistan-based Jamaat-ud Dawa chief Hafiz Saeed.
Naqvi said he wrote to the Home Minister, seeking "effective action" on the issue.
The twin blasts in Hyderabad yesterday and the threat call reflect the fact that terror elements are working with nefarious designs in mind to destabilise peace in the country, he said.
"I urge the government to address these issues not casually but with effective and strong mindset. The message should go that no element can destabilise the unity of the country," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!