Naqvi gets threatening call after Afzal Guru’s execution, IB to probe
New Delhi: Five days after BJP leader Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi complained about receiving a threatening call, government on Friday asked the Intelligence Bureau to conduct a probe into it.
Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde, who came under attack over the "inaction", told Naqvi this evening that he had asked the IB to investigate the matter, sources said.
The action came five days after Naqvi informed Shinde as well as Home Secretary R K Singh about two calls received by him on February 16 from an international phone number, the BJP leader said.
Naqvi, BJP Vice President who has been vocal against terrorism, said he was warned of dire consequences if he spoke against Pakistan-based Jamaat-ud Dawa chief Hafiz Saeed.
Naqvi said he wrote to the Home Minister, seeking "effective action" on the issue.
The twin blasts in Hyderabad yesterday and the threat call reflect the fact that terror elements are working with nefarious designs in mind to destabilise peace in the country, he said.
"I urge the government to address these issues not casually but with effective and strong mindset. The message should go that no element can destabilise the unity of the country," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez