Narayanasamy asks Lankan envoy to confine to diplomatic work
Chennai: Objecting to the reported statement of Sri Lankan High Commissioner Prasad Kariyawasam allegedly trying to instigate north Indians against the people of Tamil Nadu, Union Minister of State in PMO V Narayanasamy on Monday said he "has exceeded his limits".
"He (Kariyawasam) has exceeded his limits. He should confine himself to diplomatic work," he told reporters here.
The Minister was replying to a question about Kariyawasam`s reported comments that Sinhalese have their origins in most of the northern states of India, which drew protests from MDMK leader Vaiko who contended it was an attempt to instigate the north Indians against Tamils in the country.
Vaiko had in a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh sought criminal prosecution of the Sri Lankan envoy on the charge of `sedition`.
To a question on Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project, Narayanasamy said the production from the first unit would begin soon.
He said false information was being spread among the local villagers that there was a gas leak from the plant.
On the People`s Movement Against Nuclear Energy calling for a seige of the plant township over the issue, he said the Centre and state governments would take necessary steps to deal with it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range