Narayanasamy asks Lankan envoy to confine to diplomatic work
Chennai: Objecting to the reported statement of Sri Lankan High Commissioner Prasad Kariyawasam allegedly trying to instigate north Indians against the people of Tamil Nadu, Union Minister of State in PMO V Narayanasamy on Monday said he "has exceeded his limits".
"He (Kariyawasam) has exceeded his limits. He should confine himself to diplomatic work," he told reporters here.
The Minister was replying to a question about Kariyawasam`s reported comments that Sinhalese have their origins in most of the northern states of India, which drew protests from MDMK leader Vaiko who contended it was an attempt to instigate the north Indians against Tamils in the country.
Vaiko had in a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh sought criminal prosecution of the Sri Lankan envoy on the charge of `sedition`.
To a question on Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project, Narayanasamy said the production from the first unit would begin soon.
He said false information was being spread among the local villagers that there was a gas leak from the plant.
On the People`s Movement Against Nuclear Energy calling for a seige of the plant township over the issue, he said the Centre and state governments would take necessary steps to deal with it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads - Part II
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America