Narayanasamy asks Lankan envoy to confine to diplomatic work
Chennai: Objecting to the reported statement of Sri Lankan High Commissioner Prasad Kariyawasam allegedly trying to instigate north Indians against the people of Tamil Nadu, Union Minister of State in PMO V Narayanasamy on Monday said he "has exceeded his limits".
"He (Kariyawasam) has exceeded his limits. He should confine himself to diplomatic work," he told reporters here.
The Minister was replying to a question about Kariyawasam`s reported comments that Sinhalese have their origins in most of the northern states of India, which drew protests from MDMK leader Vaiko who contended it was an attempt to instigate the north Indians against Tamils in the country.
Vaiko had in a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh sought criminal prosecution of the Sri Lankan envoy on the charge of `sedition`.
To a question on Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project, Narayanasamy said the production from the first unit would begin soon.
He said false information was being spread among the local villagers that there was a gas leak from the plant.
On the People`s Movement Against Nuclear Energy calling for a seige of the plant township over the issue, he said the Centre and state governments would take necessary steps to deal with it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SL vs AUS: How Graeme Smith and Dale Steyn ridiculed Steve Smith for heading home
- B-Town celebs send warm wishes to Shahid Kapoor and Mira Rajput on birth of their daughter!
- UN council condemns North Korea missile launches, vows new measures
- PDP, Centre not on same page, meet between Mehbooba Mufti and PM Modi critical: Defence expert
- Diabetes drug may help prevent heart disease