Narayanasamy asks Lankan envoy to confine to diplomatic work
Chennai: Objecting to the reported statement of Sri Lankan High Commissioner Prasad Kariyawasam allegedly trying to instigate north Indians against the people of Tamil Nadu, Union Minister of State in PMO V Narayanasamy on Monday said he "has exceeded his limits".
"He (Kariyawasam) has exceeded his limits. He should confine himself to diplomatic work," he told reporters here.
The Minister was replying to a question about Kariyawasam`s reported comments that Sinhalese have their origins in most of the northern states of India, which drew protests from MDMK leader Vaiko who contended it was an attempt to instigate the north Indians against Tamils in the country.
Vaiko had in a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh sought criminal prosecution of the Sri Lankan envoy on the charge of `sedition`.
To a question on Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project, Narayanasamy said the production from the first unit would begin soon.
He said false information was being spread among the local villagers that there was a gas leak from the plant.
On the People`s Movement Against Nuclear Energy calling for a seige of the plant township over the issue, he said the Centre and state governments would take necessary steps to deal with it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof