Narendra Modi a socialist with Gandhian values: Justice Krishna Iyer
Zee Media Bureau/Manisha Singh
New Delhi: In a sort of U-turn, a retired Supreme Court judge, VR Krishna Iyer, has endorsed the Bhartiya Janata Party`s decision to project Narendra Modi as its prime ministerial candidate for the next General Elections, as per reports.
Justice Iyer had at one point led Concerned Citizens Tribunal to Gujarat to look into the 2002 post-Godhra riots. He had also directly indicted Modi for it.
The Gujarat state information department issued a statement on Wednesday saying that Justice Iyer had written to the Gujarat Chief Minister and wished him on his birthday. The letter apparently quotes the Justice as saying - "I am committed to socialism. And I support Mr Modi because he is also a socialist and encourages Gandhian values - protection of human values and rights, brotherhood, justice at social, economic and political field."
He also said – "In the chair of the PM, Mr Modi will fulfill hopes and aspirations of the people of India and uphold national dignity."
Slain Gujarat minister Haren Pandya had deposed before Justice Iyer`s tribunal that in a late-night meeting on February 27, 2002, the CM had allegedly asked officials to let Hindus give vent to their anger. In his 600-page report, Justice Iyer had indicted Modi for the 2002 riots and said that the killings were an organised crime carried out by the state government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II
- OP Jaisha marathon row: Vijay Goyal passes the buck to IOA, assures probe
- Xiaomi likely to unveil Redmi Note 4 on August 25
- Natural to express grief over mistreatment of Dalits: LK Advani
- Hundreds of NASA's studies now available online for free!
- Status of political parties to be reviewed every 10 years