Narendra Modi as PM candidate: No one is upset in BJP, says Rajnath Singh
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Two days after the anointment of Narendra Modi as the BJP`s prime ministerial nominee for the 2014 General Elections, an upbeat party president Rajnath Singh on Sunday asserted that nobody was upset with his decision.
I want to make it clear that nobody is upset in the Bharatiya Janata Party. Such rumours are baseless, said Singh, in an apparent reference to party patriarch LK Advani, who is opposed to Modi`s elevation.
"There is no need to repeat it all over again. There is no difference of opinion in our party," he added.
Advani had written a scathing letter to BJP president Rajnath Singh expressing disappointment over Modi`s style of functioning. He had also talked about "anguish in his heart" in the letter.
Defending his decision, Singh today said that all the Chief Ministers belonging to the BJP had given their consent to the name of Modi.
"With consent of everyone; we have nominated him (Modi). Every chief minister was consulted before announcing Modi`s name as a PM candidate," he added.
On Saturday, BJP leader Sushma Swaraj met Advani in an apparent bid to mollify him, but told reporters said that no one was upset.
The Bharatiya Janata Party had on Friday anointed Modi, the Gujarat chief minister, as prime ministerial candidate at the parliamentary board meeting.
Party sources said Advani has been of the opinion that a decision on prime ministerial candidate should be taken after Assembly Elections to five states later this year.
Modi had visited Advani after announcement of his elevation as prime ministerial candidate.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees