Narendra Modi as PM candidate: No one is upset in BJP, says Rajnath Singh
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Two days after the anointment of Narendra Modi as the BJP`s prime ministerial nominee for the 2014 General Elections, an upbeat party president Rajnath Singh on Sunday asserted that nobody was upset with his decision.
I want to make it clear that nobody is upset in the Bharatiya Janata Party. Such rumours are baseless, said Singh, in an apparent reference to party patriarch LK Advani, who is opposed to Modi`s elevation.
"There is no need to repeat it all over again. There is no difference of opinion in our party," he added.
Advani had written a scathing letter to BJP president Rajnath Singh expressing disappointment over Modi`s style of functioning. He had also talked about "anguish in his heart" in the letter.
Defending his decision, Singh today said that all the Chief Ministers belonging to the BJP had given their consent to the name of Modi.
"With consent of everyone; we have nominated him (Modi). Every chief minister was consulted before announcing Modi`s name as a PM candidate," he added.
On Saturday, BJP leader Sushma Swaraj met Advani in an apparent bid to mollify him, but told reporters said that no one was upset.
The Bharatiya Janata Party had on Friday anointed Modi, the Gujarat chief minister, as prime ministerial candidate at the parliamentary board meeting.
Party sources said Advani has been of the opinion that a decision on prime ministerial candidate should be taken after Assembly Elections to five states later this year.
Modi had visited Advani after announcement of his elevation as prime ministerial candidate.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- National Ranking to have separate parameters for IISERs: Smriti Irani
- Hizb commander who blasted Kashmir telecom towers killed
- Euro 2016: Roy Hodgson didn't expect England exit so early in the tournament
- Kazakhstan beats Thailand in race for Asian seat on Security Council
- The human body refreshes itself every seven years! - Watch video