Narendra Modi as PM candidate: UPA`s governance is far sighted, says Chidambaram
Sivaganga: Mounting an apparent veiled attack on the governance plank of BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi, Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram on Saturday said while the UPA was implementing far sighted projects others were sowing hatred and dividing the people.
"There are two types of governance. While we are peacefully implementing far sighted and forward looking schemes that will benefit the future generations there is another type which sows hatred and divides the people. They support one group of people, and try to suppress others," he said without mentioning name of any party or person.
He was participating at an "Education Loan Mela",organised by the Bankers` Coordination Committee here.
He also said the impact of the education, being given on large scale now, would be felt only after ten years.
The Government wanted to help those who were involved in the nation building activities whether constructing roads or houses.
Education loan had benefited backward class people in a big way he said, adding sons of barbers, building workers, panchayat clerks among others had been covered under it.
Stating that Tamil Nadu was among the states which benefited most by the scheme, he said "Any state where Education Loan had been given to a large number of students will definitely be an advanced state in the coming years."
There was a time when only a section of the people could become officers, judges etc. Now a Backward class person had become a Supreme Court Judge, Chidambaram.
The Finance Minister said banks should give help all those who had applied for loan in the Mela, and should not give lame excuses like jurisdiction.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi