Narendra Modi attacks UPA, says Congress has taken country for granted
Zee Media Bureau
Panaji: On the day that his party anointed Gujarat Chief Minister as the chief of poll panel for 2014 General and Assembly Elections, Narendra Modi said on Sunday that he was just a worker of the BJP and would carry out any responsibility that was given to him.
Addressing BJP leaders in the national executive meet here, he said, “I am indebted to Rajnath ji for giving me an added responsibility. He has given me respect in the eyes of not only party workers but also the people of this country,”
“We are all workers of the party. And as workers, we are obliged to do our best to fulfill any responsibility that has been given to us,” he added, saying, “Well begun is half won.”
He also said that the party had guided him at all juncture and had helped him in removing his weaknesses.
“Today, after being elevated as the chief of party’s poll panel, I want to tell everyone that in the BJP, position is responsibility. And a balance has to be maintained between position and responsibility,” Modi said.
The Gujarat CM added that he had full faith in the workers of the Bhartiya Janata Party.
Praising the states where BJP was in power for its growth and development all Modi said, “None of our chief ministers have been accused of any wrongdoings. Those who are accused of corruption are sitting in Delhi. But it does not seem to bother them.”
Modi attacked the Congress for wasting crores on ad campaigns. “The government at the Centre cannot be trusted,” he said without mincing words.
“The Congress is non-serious, it has taken the people of this country for granted and it is not bothered about the youth of this county, Modi said categorically, adding, “Our dream should be to rid this country of Congress.”
On internal security, Modi said the UPA government was talking about dealing with naxalism with firm hand but some people said to be sympathisers of the Left wing ideology had been appointed to Planning Commission and Sonia Gandhi-led National Advisory Council.
He also took at dig at NAC, saying it had been set up above Planning Commission which is headed by the Prime
Minister. "If you had to set up NAC, then why need the Prime Minister?"
"There was a time when Congress was in power from the panchayat to Parliament. But when it began losing power in states, it never allowed other parties to complete their tenure in government by misusing Article 356 (for imposing Central rule). At times it triggered defection in opposition parties and also turned Raj Bhavans (Governor`s residence) into Congress Bhavans," Modi claimed.
Modi accused the Congress of misusing the CBI claiming that there was not one opposition leader left who did not have a CBI case against him.
The Gujarat Chief Minister addressed the workers in the presence of BJP president Rajnath Singh, Arun Jaitley and Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar.
Sushma Swaraj was supposed to speak but conspicuous by her absence.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery