Narendra Modi distributes Rs 13-cr to poor in Bharuch
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra
Modi distributed Rs 13.88 crore among beneficiaries of various
schemes in Bharuch district during "Garib Kalyan Mela", a poor
welfare scheme to mark Modi`s 3000 days in power.
The state government has plans to organise 50 Garib
Kalyan Mela in 26 districts of the state in which
beneficiaries of the various schemes of the government will be handed over cheques, title deeds and entitlement certificates to avail the
benefits of the welfare programmes.
So far, such melas have been held in Amreli, Gondal in
Rajkot district, Dediapada in Narmada district and Bharuch.
"Modi distributed certificates, title deeds and cheques
worth Rs 13.88 crore to over 29000 beneficiaries of Bharuch
district in Garib Kalyan Mela held yesterday," said a
government release issued by the state information department.
"This is an attempt by the Chief Minister to directly
reach out to the poor people and give them their rights to
avail the benefits of the welfare schemes and programmes," a
senior official, who is involved in coordination said.
Beneficiaries of Indira Awas Yojna, scholarships to the
students, Sardar Awas Yojna and other welfare programmes can
benefit from the scheme, he said.
However, the opposition party has described Modi`s
programme as another "drama being enacted by the Chief
"So far, he has neglected poor sections of the society
and tried to please industrialists. But now, he has realised
that he cannot afford to neglect poor," said state Congress
general secretary Nishith Vyas.
He claimed that more than 75 per cent of the funds he
distributes in such melas are under the flagship programmes of
the UPA government.
"He (Modi) is giving benefits to the beneficiaries under
the various welfare schemes of the Central government and
trying to take credit for himself," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter