Narendra Modi govt appoints new governors for four states
Zee Media Bureau/Ritesh K Srivastava
New Delhi: The Narendra Modi-led BJP government on Monday appointed new governors for Uttar Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, West Bengal and Gujarat, a release from the Rashtrapati Bhavan said.
The governors are Ram Naik (Uttar Pradesh), Balramji Dass Tandon (Chhattisgarh), Keshari Nath Tripathi (West Bengal) and Om Prakash Kohli (Gujarat), a Rashtrapati Bhavan communique said.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Home Minister Rajnath Singh had short-listed the names two days ago, sources said.
Veteran BJP leader Naik said in Mumbai that the party leadership had approached him to accept the post of Governor of Uttar Pradesh, to which he agreed.
"I was asked by my party to accept the position of the Governor of UP and I said yes. It is a challenging job and I am accustomed to doing challenging jobs," Naik told reporters.
Naik replaces BL Joshi, who demitted office after the NDA government decided to replace Governors appointed during the previous UPA tenure.
The change of guard at the Centre forced five Governors to quit. They are BL Joshi (Uttar Pradesh), MK Narayanan (West Bengal), Shekhar Dutt (Chhattisgarh), Ashwani Kumar (Nagaland) and BV Wanchoo (Goa).
Two Governors - HR Bhardwaj (Karnataka) and Devanand Konwar (Tripura) - retired late last month, while a few days ago, Lt Governor of Puducherry Virendra Kataria was sacked by the government.
Gujarat Governor Kamala Beniwal was transferred to Mizoram and Mizoram Governor Vakkom Purushothaman shifted to Nagaland for the remainder of their term.
However, unhappy with the transfer, Purushothaman has resigned from the post.
A few other Governors appointed by the previous UPA regime, however, continue to remain in office despite the NDA government`s pressure.
They include K Sankaranarayanan (Maharashtra), Sheila Dikshit (Kerala), Jaganath Pahadia (Haryana) and Shivraj V Patil (Punjab).
Kerala Governor Dikshit and Maharashtra Governor Sankaranarayanan may also be transferred to northeastern states, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- IT'S DISTURBING: Watch little Syrian girl singing before a bomb explodes
- Planning parenthood through surrogacy? Things you need to know
- When Muslim men chanted `Hindustan Zindabad`, `Pakistan Murdabad` slogans on Hyderabad roads – Watch
- US warns EU ahead of Apple tax evasion ruling
- Facebook, Twitter, Google failed to tackle terrorism: Panel