Narendra Modi govt appoints new governors for four states
Zee Media Bureau/Ritesh K Srivastava
New Delhi: The Narendra Modi-led BJP government on Monday appointed new governors for Uttar Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, West Bengal and Gujarat, a release from the Rashtrapati Bhavan said.
The governors are Ram Naik (Uttar Pradesh), Balramji Dass Tandon (Chhattisgarh), Keshari Nath Tripathi (West Bengal) and Om Prakash Kohli (Gujarat), a Rashtrapati Bhavan communique said.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Home Minister Rajnath Singh had short-listed the names two days ago, sources said.
Veteran BJP leader Naik said in Mumbai that the party leadership had approached him to accept the post of Governor of Uttar Pradesh, to which he agreed.
"I was asked by my party to accept the position of the Governor of UP and I said yes. It is a challenging job and I am accustomed to doing challenging jobs," Naik told reporters.
Naik replaces BL Joshi, who demitted office after the NDA government decided to replace Governors appointed during the previous UPA tenure.
The change of guard at the Centre forced five Governors to quit. They are BL Joshi (Uttar Pradesh), MK Narayanan (West Bengal), Shekhar Dutt (Chhattisgarh), Ashwani Kumar (Nagaland) and BV Wanchoo (Goa).
Two Governors - HR Bhardwaj (Karnataka) and Devanand Konwar (Tripura) - retired late last month, while a few days ago, Lt Governor of Puducherry Virendra Kataria was sacked by the government.
Gujarat Governor Kamala Beniwal was transferred to Mizoram and Mizoram Governor Vakkom Purushothaman shifted to Nagaland for the remainder of their term.
However, unhappy with the transfer, Purushothaman has resigned from the post.
A few other Governors appointed by the previous UPA regime, however, continue to remain in office despite the NDA government`s pressure.
They include K Sankaranarayanan (Maharashtra), Sheila Dikshit (Kerala), Jaganath Pahadia (Haryana) and Shivraj V Patil (Punjab).
Kerala Governor Dikshit and Maharashtra Governor Sankaranarayanan may also be transferred to northeastern states, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez