Narendra Modi govt is anti-farmer: Congress
Rajkot: Accusing the Narendra Modi-led BJP government in Gujarat of being "anti-farmer", Congress on Friday alleged that it was due to the state government`s policies that farmers in the state were in a miserable condition.
"Gujarat government is anti-farmer. Because of the false details provided by it to the Centre and the insurance company, funds of around Rs 600 crore released by the Union government is yet to reach the insurance company," alleged Union Minister of State for Road Transport and Highways, Tushar Chaudhary. He was speaking at a farmers` rally here.
Gujarat state Congress chief Arjun Modhvadia said, "Due to the state government`s policies, nearly 11 lakh farmers in the state are facing financial crisis as they have not got their crop insurance amounts.
"Despite repeated appeals from the insurance company to the state government to rectify the data provided, it did not pay attention, due to which a large number of farmers are yet to get crop insurance amount," he said.
Congress in-charge for Gujarat, Gurudas Kamat criticised the BJP government for "not taking an interest in farmers` welfare" and alleged that the state was only focused on "donating land to industrialists".
"People, farmers and police officials have become victims of the state government," he added.
Targeting Modi, Gujarat Assembly Opposition Leader Shankersinh Vaghela said, "The chief minister is dreaming of becoming the prime minister of the country and utilising government funds for self-propaganda only."
Meanwhile, State Agriculture Minister and BJP MLA from Rajkot, Govindbhai Patel, issued a press release slamming the Congress convention.
"When farmers of the state are working hard to come out from last year`s drought, Congress is trying to rub salt into their wounds by organising such conventions," Patel said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof