Narendra Modi govt names BJP veterans governors in five states
Zee Media Bureau/Ritesh K Srivastava
New Delhi: Five BJP veterans were on Monday named governors of Uttar Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, West Bengal, Gujarat and Nagaland, which follows the resignations of the governors of four of the states after the Narendra Modi-led government came to power.
A statement issued by the Rashtrapati Bhavan confirmed that new governors were Ram Naik (Uttar Pradesh), Balramji Dass Tandon (Chhattisgarh), Keshari Nath Tripathi (West Bengal), Om Prakash Kohli (Gujarat) and Padmanabha Balakrishna Acharya (Nagaland).
The governor`s posts in these states fell vacant after the resignations of BL Joshi (Uttar Pradesh), Shekhar Dutt (Chhattisgarh), M.K. Narayanan (West Bengal) and Ashwani Kumar (Nagaland) and the transfer of Kamala Beniwal from Gujarat to Mizoram.
Naik, 80, was the cabinet minister for petroleum and natural gas in the Atal Bihari Vajpayee government from 1999 to 2004. He was earlier a minister of state for railways, home, and parliamentary affairs.
Tandon, 85, is a former deputy chief minister of Punjab and has also headed the Bharatiya Janata Party in the state.
Tripathi, 79, is a former lawyer in Allahabad High Court who has thrice served as speaker in the Uttar Pradesh assembly. He is a former state unit president of the BJP.
Kohli, a retired Delhi University professor, has been a Rajya Sabha member and was also a former president of the BJP in Delhi.
Acharya has been a member of the working group on the northeastern region of the BJP. According to the party web site, he has been a co-convenor of the Overseas Friends of BJP.
An official communique said the appointments of Naik, Tandon, Tripathi and Kohli "will take effect from the dates (they) assume charge of their offices".
A separate communique said Acharya has also been asked to discharge the functions of the governor of Tripura, where incumbent Vakkom Purushothaman has resigned.
With IANS inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’