Narendra Modi invited to address Indian Diaspora in US
Washington: The top Republican leadership in the US has congratulated Narendra Modi on being nominated as the prime ministerial candidate of the opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), and has extended an invitation to address Congressional leaders and Indian Americans via satellite at the Capitol Hill.
"I want to congratulate you on winning the nomination of the BJP for Prime Minister of India," Congresswoman Cathy McMorris Rodgers said in a congratulatory message to Modi, ahead of the November 19 event.
Being billed as "Bharat (India) Day on Capitol Hill" the day-long event is being hosted by House Republican Conference in the US House of Representatives - of which Congresswoman Rodgers is the chair - in association with Shalabh Kumar, who is chair Indian American Advisory Council.
Rodgers, who had travelled to India early this year along with a few other lawmakers and met Modi in Gujarat, is only the second woman to serve as chairwoman of this powerful House Republican body.
"She had the opportunity to meet with Chief Minister Narendra Modi and became an instant admirer of his work in Gujarat," the invitation letter sent to the Indian-American community leaders said.
"This will take place on November 19, 2013 in the US Capitol. We would also commemorate the Dev Diwali, Jain New Year and Guru Nanak Jayanti that day," she wrote to Modi.
Rodgers said the event will welcome hundreds of leaders of the Indian-American community from across the country for a day of official discussions with House Republicans, including House Majority Leader Eric Cantor and various committee chairman and members of leadership.
"You should have also received an invitation to a tribute rally he (Mr Kumar) is arranging on Bharat (India) Day, in which he welcomed you to address the Indian-American community and the Congressional leaders who are present, through satellite video," Rodgers said in her letter to Modi.
"Chairwoman Rodgers has formed the Indian-American Advisory Council to counsel the Republicans on issues important to the Indian-American community and extend the Republican outreach to our community," said Kumar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof