Narendra Modi invokes Indian culture to preach against female foeticide
Ahmedabad: Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Monday called on the people of north Gujarat to stop female foeticide.
"People should stop discriminating between boy and girl and refrain from female foeticide," Modi said at a large gathering of Anjana Chaudhary community at Arbudham near Mehsana.
The `pran-pratishtha` (deity establishment) mahotsav of goddess Arbuda, the deity of Anjana Chaudhary community, concluded today.
Modi said that Indian culture had worshipped mother in various forms such as Amba, Lakshmi, Bahuchar and Anjani for ages, and "it would be contradictory to worship female power on one hand and to kill female foetus on the other".
"With such a cultural backdrop, it is necessary that our society take a vow to refrain from the sin of female foeticide. The female foeticide will also disturb natural cycle and create gender imbalance in the society," he said.
Youths from 1,253 villages donated blood at a camp organised on this occasion.
The Chief Minister also appealed farmers to conserve water by embracing to drip irrigation. "`Per drop ? more crop` policy will fetch greater returns in future," he said.
Modi, who hails from Vadnagar in north Gujarat, also acknowledged the contribution of his teachers from the Chaudhary community in shaping up his life.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Hot alert! Katrina Kaif oozes sex appeal on the cover of Vogue India – See Pic
- Red hot! This TV actress looks unapologetically sexy in bikini – See pics
- Check out! Riteish Deshmukh's colourful 'Banjo' poster
- Tamil Nadu: Two children electrocuted, 40 injured as live wire falls on school bus, probe ordered
- Salman Khan – Sanjay Dutt friendship turns sour?