Narendra Modi invokes Indian culture to preach against female foeticide
Ahmedabad: Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Monday called on the people of north Gujarat to stop female foeticide.
"People should stop discriminating between boy and girl and refrain from female foeticide," Modi said at a large gathering of Anjana Chaudhary community at Arbudham near Mehsana.
The `pran-pratishtha` (deity establishment) mahotsav of goddess Arbuda, the deity of Anjana Chaudhary community, concluded today.
Modi said that Indian culture had worshipped mother in various forms such as Amba, Lakshmi, Bahuchar and Anjani for ages, and "it would be contradictory to worship female power on one hand and to kill female foetus on the other".
"With such a cultural backdrop, it is necessary that our society take a vow to refrain from the sin of female foeticide. The female foeticide will also disturb natural cycle and create gender imbalance in the society," he said.
Youths from 1,253 villages donated blood at a camp organised on this occasion.
The Chief Minister also appealed farmers to conserve water by embracing to drip irrigation. "`Per drop ? more crop` policy will fetch greater returns in future," he said.
Modi, who hails from Vadnagar in north Gujarat, also acknowledged the contribution of his teachers from the Chaudhary community in shaping up his life.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr