Narendra Modi invokes Indian culture to preach against female foeticide
Ahmedabad: Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Monday called on the people of north Gujarat to stop female foeticide.
"People should stop discriminating between boy and girl and refrain from female foeticide," Modi said at a large gathering of Anjana Chaudhary community at Arbudham near Mehsana.
The `pran-pratishtha` (deity establishment) mahotsav of goddess Arbuda, the deity of Anjana Chaudhary community, concluded today.
Modi said that Indian culture had worshipped mother in various forms such as Amba, Lakshmi, Bahuchar and Anjani for ages, and "it would be contradictory to worship female power on one hand and to kill female foetus on the other".
"With such a cultural backdrop, it is necessary that our society take a vow to refrain from the sin of female foeticide. The female foeticide will also disturb natural cycle and create gender imbalance in the society," he said.
Youths from 1,253 villages donated blood at a camp organised on this occasion.
The Chief Minister also appealed farmers to conserve water by embracing to drip irrigation. "`Per drop ? more crop` policy will fetch greater returns in future," he said.
Modi, who hails from Vadnagar in north Gujarat, also acknowledged the contribution of his teachers from the Chaudhary community in shaping up his life.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!