Narendra Modi is like Vajpayee minus secular credentials: Sangma
Nagpur: Former Lok Sabha speaker PA Sangma on Tuesday drew comparisons between Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi and Atal Bihari Vajpayee, saying that the BJP strongman is a good administrator but lacks secular credentials unlike the erstwhile Prime Minister.
"Modi has tremendous capacities and will power to transform... He is a good administrator but the only drawback is his non-secular credentials," he said.
"His qualities resemble (Atal Bihari) Vajpayee. He has proved his abilities in Gujarat but when it comes to lead the nation, if at all BJP-led NDA comes to power in 2014, it will be a great challenge for him...He will be more concerned about good governance," Sangma told a news agency in an interview.
On 2002 Godhra riots haunting Modi, Sangma said, "When country can forget the demolition of Babri Masjid, people will also forget the Godhra riots."
"India has enormous capacity to absolve crises," he said on the Babri issue.
Sangma also ruled out early elections.
On the post-election scenario, he said the prospects of the Federal Front mooted by West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee were dim.
There are several like Mulayam Singh Yadav, Lalu Yadav and others to lead and therefore it will be a mess, he felt.
On BJP-JD(U)`s severed ties, Sangma said the latter will be the sufferer in the forthcoming Lok Sabha polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore