Narendra Modi, LK Advani among ten Gujarat MPs facing criminal cases
Ahmedabad: Narendra Modi and veteran BJP leader LK Advani are among the ten MPs elected from Gujarat, who are facing criminal charges.
Out of the 66 candidates from Gujarat, who faced criminal charges ranging from poll code violation to attempt to murder, ten won the just-concluded Lok Sabha polls from the state.
An FIR had been lodged against Narendra Modi on April 30 in Ahmedabad for violation of the Model Code of Conduct after he displayed a lotus, BJP`s poll symbol, before TV cameras and addressed a press conference on the premises of the school where he cast his vote. Later, at a rally in Tirupati, Modi had said that it was the first FIR of his life and he would never forget the day.
Modi won the Vadodara seat by a margin of over 5.70 lakh votes.
Former Deputy Prime Minister LK Advani, who won the Gandhinagar seat defeating Kiritbhai Patel of Congress, is an accused in the Babri Masjid demolition case of 1992.
Some other candidates who won the elections include CR Patil from Navsari, Vitthal Radadiya from Porbandar and Devji Fatepura from Surendranagar constituency.
One of the richest BJP candidates from the state, CR Patil, who won Navsari Lok Sabha seat, is facing cases pertaining to financial irregularities. Three cases are pending against him before the state recovery tribunal and one is pending before the Surat judicial magistrate court.
Patil defeated Congress` Maqsood Mirza by a margin of more than 5.58 lakh votes.
Vitthal Radadiya, who switched over to BJP in 2012, is facing the maximum number of criminal cases. The ten case include rioting, criminal assault, damage to public property, criminal intimidation and death threats.
Radadiya defeated NCP candidate and deceased "Godmother" Santokben Jadeja`s son Kandhal, who is also facing severe criminal charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report