Narendra Modi not a leader of stature: Congress
New Delhi: Congress on Monday hit out at BJP for its focus on Narendra Modi, saying it betrays a "leadership vacuum" in the main Opposition party as the Gujarat Chief Minister is "not a leader of stature". "Modi is speaking in a very foul language. He is not a leader of stature. He does not have a political culture. Modi is a state Chief Minister. BJP is totally blank on leadership. There is leadership vacuum in BJP. They have no other leader so they are banking on him," Union Minister V Narayanasamy told reporters outside Parliament.
At a BJP meet on Sunday, which saw the Opposition party virtually stopping short of naming Modi as its next Prime Ministerial candidate, the Gujarat Chief Minister had launched an all-out attack against Congress saying it was destroying this country like "termites" for which the only medicine was sweat of the BJP worker.
He had also accused the Gandhi family of putting "interests" of its members above national interests and referred to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh - without naming him - as a "night watchman" keeping the seat warm for the "the family".
Dismissing the claims of development in Modi-ruled Gujarat, he reminded Modi that "In 2002 A B Vajpayee, who was then the Prime Minister, had a desire to dismiss the Gujarat government (led by Modi)" over post-Godhra riots.
At the BJP meet, Modi had showered lavish praise on Vajpayee.
The minister also took at a jibe at BJP, saying the party should change its slogan of "Masjid se Mandir Tak (from mosque to temple)" to "Mandir se Masjid girane tak (from temple to demolishing mosque)".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees