Narendra Modi not an issue for Congress: Digvijay
Bhopal: Senior Congress leader Digvijay Singh on Sunday said Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi was not an issue for his party, which believes in fighting ideological battles in which personalities do not matter much.
He dismissed the BJP stalwart as a creation of "media hype" and challenged his claim of having ushered a new era of growth in Gujarat, where BJP is in power since mid 1990s.
"Modi is a media hype and we challenge him on the issue of development as there is no sector in which Gujarat was at the top of the table," the Congress general secretary told a news agency here.
To a query, Singh said in his opinion next month`s Karnataka Assembly elections will not be a fight between Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi and Modi.
He said the Congress hoped to win Karnataka, where people have seen how the ruling BJP had "looted" the state in the last years.
Singh said Rahul had been campaigning for the Congress since 2004 and the party won Lok Sabha elections in that year and again in 2009.
"The party, heading the UPA Government at the Centre, has also done well at the state-level since 2004 and won elections in Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra, Kerala, Rajasthan, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand," he said.
"The Congress vote-share had gone up in all elections held after 2004 and Rahul must be given credit for this," the former Madhya Pradesh chief minister added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- 80 killed, over 200 injured in twin suicide bomb attacks on Kabul protesters; Islamic State claims responsibility
- MUST WATCH: One to be treasured! Virat Kohli's 200 and Sunil Gavaskar's generous applause
- SCOPE for accountability check of NGOs getting funds from PSUs
- Govt to invest Rs 200 crore on scaling up existing incubators
- MUST WATCH VIDEO FOR ALL CRICKET FANS: When Rahul Dravid found himself stranded against XI South Africans