Narendra Modi not planning to visit Ayodhya: VHP
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Vishwa Hindu Parishad on Tuesday issued a statement denying reports of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi mulling visiting Ayodhya.
"I have been quoted as commenting on the visit of Narendra Modi. But I am hereby officially refuting any such comment being attributed to me," Sharad Sharma, the regional media in-charge of the VHP in Ayodhya, said in a statement.
Saying that a news agency quoted him out of context regarding the Ayodhya visit of Modi, Sharma added that he did not receive such intimation from the head of Bharatiya Janata Party`s poll campaign panel for the 2014 General Elections.
The 75th birthday of Mahant Nritya Gopal Das, seer and chairman of the Shri Ram Janmabhoomi Nyas, is being celebrated in the temple town from June 19 to 22. VHP sources said that invites have been sent to many politicians and VIPs across the country.
The invitees include the Gujarat Chief Minister, Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chauhan and several central leaders of the BJP.
On Monday, report claimed that Bharatiya Janata Party`s campaign head for 2014 General Elections would visit Ayodhya this week to offer prayers at the disputed site.
A close aide of Nritya Gopal Das, however, told a news agency that Modi has already apologised to the seer for not being able to make it on June 19 for the celebrations.
"Modi ji called up Mahant ji two days back and expressed his inability to come to Ayodhya citing preoccupations," the aide said.
Earlier, the news of Modi`s Ayodhya visit sent the media and political establishment in a tizzy with many pointing out that the Janata Dal-United was correct in parting ways with the BJP, as the saffron outfit was trying to reignite the Ayodhya brand of politics.
Although officially remaining silent on the issue, the state BJP leaders termed as contradictory the media report quoting Sharma and other people on Modi`s Ayodhya visit.
Meanwhile, the BJP is preparing for a big show of strength in UP. The party has organised a jail bharo agitation on June 26, 28 and 30. Thousands of party workers and leaders, including Rajnath Singh and UP incharge Amit Shah, will court arrest in protest against the “anti-people” policies of the state and the Union governments, BJP spokesman Vijay Pathak informed.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- India Red vs India Green: Bowlers dominate first day of Duleep Trophy tie
- Hillary Clinton holds lead over Donald Trump, but trails him among white voters: poll
- Sensitive data on India's Scorpene submarines leaked
- Second US service member killed in Afghanistan in 2016
- 8 out of 10 French do not want Nicolas Sarkozy back