Narendra Modi not secular, lacks goodwill towards Muslims: Cleric
Zee Media Bureau
Ahmedabad: While the BJP and its cadres are busy celebrating the 64th birthday of its prime ministerial pick Narendra Modi on Tuesday, a prominent Muslim cleric has hit out at the Gujarat Chief Minister.
Imam Shahid Saiyed, who had once offered a skull cap to Gujarat Chief Minister which the latter refused to wear during his Sadbhavna rally, said that Modi does not have any goodwill towards the minority community.
Speaking to reporters, Shahid Saiyed said, "I had gone to the Sadbhavna fast with no ill feelings. I gave him a skull cap, but he told me he does not wear a cap. It proves that he has no goodwill towards anyone and he is not secular."
"Those wearing skullcaps at the function were not Muslims, but manual labourers paid Rs 200 to be there," he added.
The bitter reaction from the cleric comes at a time when Modi and his party are trying hard to reach out to the minority members, days after the Gujarat CM was nominated as the party`s Prime Ministerial candidate for 2014 polls.
Incidentally, the CPI has also dubbed Modi as an "encounter specialist" and a "political murderer" on his 64th birthday.
All this coincides with the Gujarat BJP`s drive to recruit more and more Muslim youths in a bid to tone down Modi`s hardline image.
The Bharatiya Janata Minority Morcha has decided to register about 1 lakh Muslims into the BJP. It is going to be a week long drive and will be held in all the districts.
Modi was on last Friday appointed BJP`s 2014 PM candidate following the parliamentary board meeting of the party in Delhi.
After his nomination, Modi assured his party workers and supporters that he would leave no stone unturned in ensuring that the BJP emerges victorious in the 2014 Lok Sabha polls.
"With the blessings of the national leadership and love of the party workers, I am sure we will win," he added.
With Agency inputs
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference