Narendra Modi overwhelmed by public support at Pune
Zee Media Bureau
Pune: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi has thanked the audience for their support and response he received after addressing students at Fergusson College and party workers here on Sunday.
Narendra Modi tweeted, “Addressed large public meeting in Pune. Overwhelmed by the wonderful response of the people.”
"Congress Mukt Bharat Nirman is the only solution to all of India`s problems," he tweeted further.
Earlier in the day, while reaching out to the youths ahead of upcoming general elections, Narendra Modi first addressed students at Fergusson College and then a gathering of party workers.
The Gujarat CM accused the Congress of cheating the people of the country by failing to keep its promise of poverty alleviation, announced by then prime minister Indira Gandhi in the 1970s at the party workers meet.
Modi, who heads the chief Bharatiya Janata Party`s poll campaign committee, also targeted the food security ordinance issued by the Congress-led central government.
While speaking at the Fergusson College, Modi took a dig at Pune MP Suresh Kalmadi, saying that India lost its respect on the international stage by the way they organised the Commonwealth Games.
"A small country like South Korea hosted the Olympics and got international appreciation. But we, we made fun of ourself in organising a small event like Commonwealth Games," he said.
Modi also emphasised the importance of education, but stressed that India needed modernisation, not westernisation.
"We need modernisation, not westernisation, of our educational system. I support modern education but not blind aping of the West," he said, adding that the government needed to spend more on higher education.
"China allotted 20 percent of its GDP to its educational system as against India`s barely four percent. We need to spend 25 percent GDP on education today," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends