Narendra Modi seeks compensation for crop damage due to rains
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra
Modi on Friday sought from Prime Minister Manmohan Singh a special
package for farmers as compensation for the loss to standing
crops and other agricultural-produces due to recent widespread
unseasonal rains in the state.
In a letter to the Prime Minister, Modi said "as per
primary estimates, cotton crop in Saurashtra and North Gujarat
has been damaged in 1.85 lakh hectare while the area of
damaged paddy crop in central Gujarat is estimated at 40,000
Besides, groundnut, castor, jowar, udad and soyabean
crops were also damaged due to the rains, he said.
Modi said rains have hit the fishery catch and salt
production, washing away salt pans in the coastal regions.
"The value of loss to paddy alone is calculated to be of
the order of Rs 24 crore, and that of fishery Rs 25 crore,"
Unseasonal rains have hit hard the vegetables and fruits
produce too, including 17,000 hectares of potato crop in
Banaskantha district alone, besides papaya crop in Rajkot and
Sabarkantha, the Gujarat Chief Minister said.
Farmers urgently need adequate compensation for loss to
vegetables and fodder too, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray