Narendra Modi sends invitation letter to Jairam Ramesh
New Delhi: Narendra Modi has sent a special invitation to one of his most ardent critics, Union Minister Jairam Ramesh.
The Bharatiya Janata Party`s candidate for prime minister has asked Ramesh, who heads the Rural Development Ministry, to attend the `bhoomipujan` or the traditional groundbreaking ceremony for the proposed giant statue of freedom fighter and iconic leader Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel on the 31st of this month in Kevadia colony in the Narmad district of south Gujarat.
In his letter, Mr Modi writes, "It is our belief that the monument will become an important cornerstone in the cultural and social life of our great nation."
The four-time chief minister of Gujarat says that the statue will be 182 metres high and will be twice as tall as the Statue of Liberty in the US.
It will be located in the middle of the Narmada river, near the Saradar Sarovar dam at Kevadia, more than 200 kilometres south of Ahmedabad.
Modi`s letter to the minister opens with "My dear Jairam Ji" and ends with "warm personal regards."
Earlier this month, Ramesh took on the Gujarat leader, saying that Modi signalled delayed "enlightenment" in his comment that it`s more important to build toilets than temples.
Ramesh had been attacked by the BJP when he made a similar statement last year.
In June, the minister referred to Modi as `Bhasmasur`, a mythological character who tried to destroy his creator. Ramesh was referring to the fraught relationship that the chief minister shares with his one-time mentor, BJP leader LK Advani, who stridently opposed the party`s decision to pick Modi as its choice for prime minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter