Narendra Modi should explain `links` with hawala operator Afroz Fatta: Congress
Zee Media Bureau/Ajith Vijay Kumar
New Delhi: Opening up a new front, the Congress on Monday, claimed that Narendra Modi has close links with alleged Surat-based hawala operator Afroz Fatta, who was raided by the Enforcement Directorate last month.
“There are some pertinent questions which BJP and Narendra Modi need to answer to the people of India. What is the relationship, nature of relations, connection and protection being given by Narendra Modi to Afroz Fatta, the alleged hawala kingpin?” Randeep Sujrewala, Congress spokesperson, said in an interview.
“There is a hawala racketeer who prima facie has connection with Narendra Modi,” he said.
“Whose money, running into Rs 1000 cr, had allegedly been transmitted by Afroz Fatta by hawala? What for this money was brought back to India and put to what use?,” Sujrewala said, attacking the BJP on the issue.
“What is the connection with (underworld don) Babloo Srivastava? And how is he seeking a stake in the money being channelised through the hawala racket? Do Modi and other BJP leaders have a connection with the underworld criminals? The people of the country would like to know,”he added.
Realising pictures of Modi with Fatta, Sujrewala said, “Whether pictures of Afroz Fatta e are reflecting a close relations and proximity to Narendra Modi and other BJP leaders, tell their own story?,” adding that pictures of Fatta on the website of Modi and Gujarat BJP, showing him holding parleys wit modi in CM`s office need to be examined.
“Will the BJP and Narendra Modi disclose the nature of the relationship and whether Narendra Modi will agree to submit himself to an independent agency outside Gujarat?,” he added.
Fatta is a diamond businessman. His house and office were raided by the Enforcement Directorate in March. Reports quoting ED officials had then claimed that the raids were in connection with a hawala racket amounting to Rs 700 crore unearthed in Surat.
“I am not involved in any of the hawala racket. I have given my statement to ED officials, after raids were carried out at my house and office. I am ready to face any legal action if I am found guilty. I have given all the documents of my company, which are been verified by them. I have not been detained or arrested by the officials,” Fatta had told a newspaper.
However, reports last week claimed that Fatta`s arrest was imminent after the police traced his alleged links with the underworld.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- NASA astronaut Jeff Williams' camera zooms in on alluring views of these two places! - See pics
- Nico Rosberg surprised to see teammate Lewis Hamilton finishing 3rd in Belgian GP
- See pic: Cassini captures delicate glow on Saturn's ring!
- Mamata urges people to oppose strike, government warns absentees of action
- India, Myanmar agree to increase bilateral cooperation