Narendra Modi should snap ties with RSS if he respects Iron Man: Sibal
New Delhi: Questioning the commitment of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi towards Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, senior Congress leader and Union Minister Kapil Sibal on Wednesday said he should disassociate himself from RSS if he had any respect for the Iron Man.
"Sardar Patel was a secular leader. In fact after the death of Mahatma, he banned RSS on February 4, 1948 for anti-national activities. Modi who considers Sardar Patel as his mentor should then endorse the decision of the Iron Man to have banned the RSS," Sibal told a news agency.
Sibal said Modi should endorse the resolution banning the RSS which declared that forces of hate and violence were at work in the country and imperil freedom of the nation.
"These were the sentiments of Sardar Patel. Modi obviously is oblivious of historical facts, indulges in distortion," he said.
BJP on various occasions has maintained that the decision to ban RSS in 1948 was taken due to pressure from Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru.
Sibal also quoted a speech of Patel in which he said, "If you think you can go on constantly troubling loyal Muslims just because they happen to be Muslims, remember our freedom is not worthwhile."
"What his (Modi`s) administration has done and for which his administration is being prosecuted...Are all contrary to what Sardar Patel stood for," he said.
Sibal said that Sardar Patel was truly secular and considered the Sangh`s activities undesirable and dangerous.
"It is Modi consequently, if he has to follow the Iron Man that is Sardar Patel and if he is honest about his beliefs then he has to disassociate himself from the RSS but he will never do that becuase Modi as always is double faced and indulges in double speak," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read