Narendra Modi to contest from Varanasi Lok Sabha seat
Zee Media Bureau/Hemant Abhishek
New Delhi: The Bharatiya Janata Party announced its fourth list of candidates for the 2014 Lok Sabha polls on Saturday and set all rumours to rest by naming Gujarat Chief Minister and party`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi as its contestant from the Varanasi seat.
BJP`s Central Election Committee met in the capital to announce its fourth list of candidates for the General Elections.
Reports state that after much deliberation party stalwart Murli Manohar Joshi relented clearing way for Narendra Modi from Varanasi. Joshi will be contesting from Kanpur.
In Uttar Pradesh, BJP president Rajnath Singh will be contesting from Lucknow. Maneka Gandhi will contest from Pilibhit, her son Varun Gandhi from Sultanpur and Kalraj Mishra from Deoria. Former Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Uma Bharti, who has shifted her base to UP, has been given ticket from Jhansi. Former Mumbai Police Commissioner Satyapal Singh will contest from Baghpat.
Party has fielded Sanjeev Baliyan from Muzzafarnagar, Rajendra Agarwal from Meerut, Lallu Singh from Faizabad, Yogi Adityanath from Gorakhpur, Ramkanth Yadav from Azamgarh, BSS Chauhan from Mainpuri, Rajveer Singh from Etah and Dharmendra Kashyap will contest from Aonla.
In Bihar, the party has named actor-turned-politician Shatrughan Sinha as its candidate from the Patna Saheb seat. Janardan Singh Sigriwal will contest from Maharajganj.
For Haryana, notable names included Rao Inderjeet Singh who will contest from Gurgaon, Krishanpal Gurjar from Faridabad, Ramesh Kaushik from Sonipat, Captain Abhimanyu from Rohtak and Raj Saini from Kurukshetra.
In Delhi, former CM candidate Harsh Vardhan will contest from Chandni Chowk, party spokesperson Meenakshi Lekhi will contest from New Delhi constituency, Dalit leader Udit Raj from North West Delhi, Manoj Tiwari will contest from North East Delhi and Ramesh Bidhuri from South Delhi.
The Chandigarh seat will be contested by actor-turned-politician Kirron Kher. She will face-off with former Railways minister Pawan Kumar Bansal (Congress) and AAP`s Gul Panag.
In Punjab, like it was speculated, Arun Jaitley will be contesting from Amritsar. Despite putting up a stiff protest, Navjot Singh Sidhu failed to retain party`s ticket from the seat.
In Uttarakhand, the party has fielded three former Chief Ministers -- Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank from Haridwar, B C Khanduri from Pauri Garhwal and Bhagat Singh Koshiyari from Nainital.
In Chhattisgarh, sitting MP and Mahila Morcha chief Saroj Pandey will contest from Durg.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical