Narendra Modi to contest from Varanasi Lok Sabha seat
Zee Media Bureau/Hemant Abhishek
New Delhi: The Bharatiya Janata Party announced its fourth list of candidates for the 2014 Lok Sabha polls on Saturday and set all rumours to rest by naming Gujarat Chief Minister and party`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi as its contestant from the Varanasi seat.
BJP`s Central Election Committee met in the capital to announce its fourth list of candidates for the General Elections.
Reports state that after much deliberation party stalwart Murli Manohar Joshi relented clearing way for Narendra Modi from Varanasi. Joshi will be contesting from Kanpur.
In Uttar Pradesh, BJP president Rajnath Singh will be contesting from Lucknow. Maneka Gandhi will contest from Pilibhit, her son Varun Gandhi from Sultanpur and Kalraj Mishra from Deoria. Former Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Uma Bharti, who has shifted her base to UP, has been given ticket from Jhansi. Former Mumbai Police Commissioner Satyapal Singh will contest from Baghpat.
Party has fielded Sanjeev Baliyan from Muzzafarnagar, Rajendra Agarwal from Meerut, Lallu Singh from Faizabad, Yogi Adityanath from Gorakhpur, Ramkanth Yadav from Azamgarh, BSS Chauhan from Mainpuri, Rajveer Singh from Etah and Dharmendra Kashyap will contest from Aonla.
In Bihar, the party has named actor-turned-politician Shatrughan Sinha as its candidate from the Patna Saheb seat. Janardan Singh Sigriwal will contest from Maharajganj.
For Haryana, notable names included Rao Inderjeet Singh who will contest from Gurgaon, Krishanpal Gurjar from Faridabad, Ramesh Kaushik from Sonipat, Captain Abhimanyu from Rohtak and Raj Saini from Kurukshetra.
In Delhi, former CM candidate Harsh Vardhan will contest from Chandni Chowk, party spokesperson Meenakshi Lekhi will contest from New Delhi constituency, Dalit leader Udit Raj from North West Delhi, Manoj Tiwari will contest from North East Delhi and Ramesh Bidhuri from South Delhi.
The Chandigarh seat will be contested by actor-turned-politician Kirron Kher. She will face-off with former Railways minister Pawan Kumar Bansal (Congress) and AAP`s Gul Panag.
In Punjab, like it was speculated, Arun Jaitley will be contesting from Amritsar. Despite putting up a stiff protest, Navjot Singh Sidhu failed to retain party`s ticket from the seat.
In Uttarakhand, the party has fielded three former Chief Ministers -- Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank from Haridwar, B C Khanduri from Pauri Garhwal and Bhagat Singh Koshiyari from Nainital.
In Chhattisgarh, sitting MP and Mahila Morcha chief Saroj Pandey will contest from Durg.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27