Narendra Modi to contest General Elections from his bastion Gujarat: Report
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: BJP`s prime ministerial aspirant Narendra Modi will fight from his bastion Gujarat instead of Uttar Pradesh as was being speculated earlier, reports suggest on Tuesday.
Analysts had expected that after BJP`s gamble of anointing Modi first as its election campaigning chief and then the PM candidate could resurrect the party`s fortunes in Uttar Pradesh, which had given an indication that Modi may fight this state.
The elevation of Modi followed the appointment of his close confidant Amit Shah as incharge of the state affairs giving a clear signal that the party plans to capitalise on his hardline image to regain lost ground and repeat the success of 1996 and 1998 to catapult it to power at the centre.
According to BJP sources, Modi will contest the upcoming General Elections from a constituency in Gujarat.
Earlier, it was presumed that Modi may contest from Kanpur, Lucknow or Varanasi but now sources confirm that he will be contesting from his native state.
But for UP, BJP needs someone like Modi who can galvanise the voter and act as a catalyst as the party requires a name here.
Keeping an eye on the Lok Sabha polls, the BJP leadership is treating UP as a make or break point for the party and therefore a more active Modi can be seen in the state after he addressed a mass rally here on November 8.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY