Narendra Modi using `bodyline` tactics like Jardine: Ramesh
New Delhi: A day after Narendra Modi targeted Gandhi family, Union Minister Jairam Ramesh on Wednesday hit back comparing the Gujarat Chief Minister with controversial English cricketer Douglas Jardine who used "bodyline" tactics against Australian batsmen to intimidate them.
"Mr Modi after Douglas Jardine...Mr Modi is a practioner of bodyline and you know what Bill Woodfull said when bodyline was taking place, he said there are two teams out there and one of them is not playing cricket.
"The abrasive and the abusive manner in which he (Modi) carries on a campaign...We do not want to follow in the same category but at the same time he is a political reality," Ramesh told a TV channel.
Douglas Robert Jardine, a right-handed batsman, is best known for captaining the English team during the 1932-33 Ashes tour of Australia.
During that series, England employed `bodyline` tactics against the Australian batsmen, wherein bowlers pitched the ball short on the line of leg stump to rise towards the bodies of the batsmen in a manner that most contemporary players and critics viewed as intimidatory and physically dangerous.
Ramesh`s comments came a day after Modi attacked Congress on corruption saying, "A for Adarsh Ghotala, B for Bofors Ghotala, C for Coal ghotala, D for Damad ka ghotala (corruption)...This is the new ABCD...Which the Congress adopted to introduce a new book of alphabets for children."
Ramesh, a Congress strategist, also dismissed suggestions that the 2014 general elections would be a battle between Modi and Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi.
Ramesh said the style of working of Rahul Gandhi is different from Modi as the Congress Vice President keeps a low profile. "He is not like Modi to keep chest thumping," he said.
"Modi only keeps talking about himself. I, I, I, me, me, me. I am your Alibaba. I am the guy who got your `Jaddu ki Chadi` (Magic wand)," he said about the BJP leader.
"Gandhi`s style is different than Modi. He is low key...His style is more conceptual. Do not mistake his low key as reluctant style. He is doing things on ground," Ramesh said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation?
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi