Narendra Modi welcome to apply for visa and wait for review: US
Washington: Asserting that there has been no change in its visa policy, the US on Tuesday said Narendra Modi who has been named BJP`s prime ministerial candidate is welcome to apply for a visa and wait for a review.
"No change in our longstanding visa policy. He`s welcome to apply for a visa and await a review like any other applicant," State Department Deputy Spokesperson Marie Harf told reporters at her daily news conference.
"Visa applications are confidential, or at least the details of them. I can check on that, but not to my knowledge," Harf said when specifically asked if Modi has applied for a US visa.
In 2005, Modi was denied a diplomatic visa and his existing tourist and business visa was revoked under the Immigration and Nationality Act, which makes a foreign government official responsible for severe violations of religious freedom ineligible for a travel document.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended