Narendra Modi will remain PM-in-waiting: Ajay Maken
New Delhi: Returning fire, Congress today mocked BJP`s `failed model` of declaring candidates as "PM or CM in waiting" who never reach the post and said Narendra Modi too will meet the same fate.
AICC General Secretary and Communication Department Chairman Ajay Maken said BJP has become desperate ever since Rahul Gandhi was declared the Congress leader for election campaign for 2014.
"It may be the habit of BJP to announce their PM in waiting candidate. They had announced LK Advani as PM candidate. He remained PM-in-waiting. They had also announced Harsh Vardhan and Vijay Kumar Malhotra as Chief Ministerial candidates for Delhi. They remained Cms-in-waiting.
"The leaders of Congress are not announced PM or CM in waiting. They directly become Prime Minister and Chief Minister. Why should we adopt BJP`s failed model when we have our own successful model," he said.
He was reacting after BJP led by its prime ministerial nominee Modi today taunted Congress for not naming Rahul Gandhi as the PM candidate saying Sonia Gandhi wanted to save her son from being sacrificed politically in view of "imminent" defeat in the Lok Sabha polls.
The Congress leader also targeted Modi over his promise to create 100 smart cities if the BJP came to power.
"We used to think that Modi has no understanding of history. But from his speech today it seems that he has no understanding of facts and reality as well. Modi has said that he would create 100 new cities but the fact remains that in the last 10 years of UPA, 2,234 new cities were created," Maken said citing figures.
He said that there were 3,024 cities in 1951, which rose to 5,161 in 2001. While 2011 census shows that the number of cities in India is 7,395.
Maken said that he is very much sure that as Harsh Vardhan remain chief minister in waiting in Delhi despite change of power happening in the state Modi will also remain PM in waiting at the national level after the elections.
He also claimed that all top BJP leaders from Rajnath Singh and Arun Jaitley are targeting Rahul Gandhi instead of talking about their policies and programmes as they have "panicked" after the Congress vice president`s "inspiring and arousing speech" at the AICC meeting.
Union minister Manish Tewari said that BJP only gives prime ministerial candidates while Congress gives strong Prime Minister to the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!