Narendra Modi writes to Japanese PM on postponement of visit
New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi has written to his Japanese counterpart Shinzo Abe about the postponement of his proposed visit there next month in view of the Budget session of the Parliament.
Modi was expected to visit Japan next month but it has been deferred till after the Budget session of Parliament ends.
"The Prime Minister is very keen to visit Japan at an early date. Prime Minister has written to Prime Minister Abe on this subject. The dates that we were looking in early July will need to be reworked in the light of the recent communication between the Prime Minister and Prime Minister Abe," External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin said.
Reports had suggested that Modi would be visiting Japan on July 3-4.
Akbaruddin said two governments will be in touch to finalise new dates for the visit.
Asked when the letter was sent, he replied, "in the last 24 hours".
The decision to defer the visit has been taken in view of the Budget Session which is very important for the Prime Minister and is expected to be a path-breaking one, putting into action many ideas which Modi has been talking about since several months.
The Prime Minister was expected to visit Japan on his second foreign trip, given the strong strategic, economic and cultural foundations of the bilateral relationship.
Japan is a very important country and the bilateral relationship is a priority for India as well as Modi personally, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics