Narendra Modi writes to PM, seeks Central assistance for Sardar Sarovar
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi has once again written to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh demanding that the Sardar Sarovar Project should be given 90 per cent Central assistance under Desert Development Programme (DDP) for accelerated irrigation benefit to such areas.
Modi has said in the letter that the Union Cabinet has given approval to provide 90 per cent assistance to irrigation projects for Drought Prone Area Programme (DPAP) and Desert Development Programme (DDP) under the Accelerated Irrigation Benefit Programme (AIBP).
The letter said the main aim of Sardar Sarovar Project is to provide water security to drought-prone and desert areas in Gujarat and Rajasthan.
It said that out of the total command area of 18.45 lakh hectares for the irrigation from the Sardar Sarovar Project on the river Narmada, 5.08 lakh hectares falls in Drought Prone region and 8.73 lakh hectares falls in desert.
The Centre has cleared two projects of Punjab and one project of Karnataka, while the request of Gujarat to give similar benefits for Sardar Sarovar Project is pending with the UPA government, the letter said.
"So I once again request you that the Sardar Sarovar Project should be given 90 per cent central assistance under the Desert Development Programme (DDP) for Accelerated Irrigation Benefit Programme (AIBP)," Modi said in the letter.
He has further said in the letter that if the benefit is given to Gujarat then it would help the state in building canal network for creating irrigation facilities in the drought-prone and desert areas of Gujarat and Rajasthan.
"The implementation of the Sardar Sarovar Project will also ensure increase in farm production and all-round development of those areas, which is a goal of all of us," Modi said.
The Gujarat strongman mentioned that he has written similar letter to the Prime Minister in January, May and June months of 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister