`Narendra Modi`s communal image responsible for US visa row`
New Delhi: In the ongoing controversy over Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s US visa, Congress leader Jagdambika Pal on Wednesday said that it has nothing to do with the ruling party at the centre, whether or not the saffron outfit is granted a US visa.
"Every country has its own terms and conditions for giving visa. If America is not granting visa to Narendra Modi, it might be because America considers him to be a communal figure. The Government of India or the Congress party has nothing to do with this," he said.
Pal also commented on the issue where 65 members of Parliament had appealed to President Barack Obama to deny visa to Narendra Modi, and said that his communal figure is responsible for all this.
"If it wasn`t for his communal image, why would his 17-year-old alliance with Nitish Kumar end? Or why would senior BJP leader LK Advani resign from his post? It is clear that across the party lines there is lot of discontent and there is a situation of division in the party. But inspite of all these things, if they want to give him a key position, we will see the results in the 2014 elections," he added.
Narendra Modi has been denied visa by the US for the last several years over allegations of human rights violations during the 2002 riots in Gujarat. A total of 65 MPs wrote letter to Obama in late 2012 against granting Modi a US visa. While one letter was signed by 25 Rajya Sabha MPs, the other was signed by 40 Lok Sabha members.
The letters were written on November 26 and December 05, 2012 respectively and re-faxed to the White House on Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead