`Narendra Modi`s communal image responsible for US visa row`
New Delhi: In the ongoing controversy over Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s US visa, Congress leader Jagdambika Pal on Wednesday said that it has nothing to do with the ruling party at the centre, whether or not the saffron outfit is granted a US visa.
"Every country has its own terms and conditions for giving visa. If America is not granting visa to Narendra Modi, it might be because America considers him to be a communal figure. The Government of India or the Congress party has nothing to do with this," he said.
Pal also commented on the issue where 65 members of Parliament had appealed to President Barack Obama to deny visa to Narendra Modi, and said that his communal figure is responsible for all this.
"If it wasn`t for his communal image, why would his 17-year-old alliance with Nitish Kumar end? Or why would senior BJP leader LK Advani resign from his post? It is clear that across the party lines there is lot of discontent and there is a situation of division in the party. But inspite of all these things, if they want to give him a key position, we will see the results in the 2014 elections," he added.
Narendra Modi has been denied visa by the US for the last several years over allegations of human rights violations during the 2002 riots in Gujarat. A total of 65 MPs wrote letter to Obama in late 2012 against granting Modi a US visa. While one letter was signed by 25 Rajya Sabha MPs, the other was signed by 40 Lok Sabha members.
The letters were written on November 26 and December 05, 2012 respectively and re-faxed to the White House on Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das