Narendra Modi`s elevation not my concern: Rahul Gandhi
Budgam: In his first comments on developments in BJP, Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said he was neither concerned about the elevation of Narendra Modi nor was he going to invite its ally JD(U) to UPA fold.
"It (elevation of Modi) is their (BJP`s) internal matter. It is really not my concern. My concern is how the Congress party is doing and how we are doing in different states. What are the different types of action we are taking to benefit the people," he told reporters when he was asked about the elevation of the Gujarat Chief Minister as the Lok Sabha Election campaign head by BJP.
To a question whether Congress would invite JD(U), which appeared to be splitting with BJP, the Congress vice president said he does not take decisions on inviting parties to join the ruling UPA at the Centre.
"These are internal matters of the Congress party. Frankly, these decisions are not made by me. These decisions are made by senior leaders of the Congress party. So it is not for me to give invitations to anyone," Gandhi said.
His comments came on a day when the Congress party said in Delhi that JD(U) is a like-minded party and can be trusted on secularism. Congress spokesperson Bhakta Charan Das also said that coming together of like-minded parties can happen in future.
Yesterday, Congress had distanced itself from the remarks of Union Minister Jairam Ramesh, saying Modi was not a challenge to the Congress but to BJP and NDA.
Asked about the possibility of his being nominated as the prime ministerial candidate, Gandhi said, "That you have to ask the Congress party. I have my job cut out for me."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued