Narendra Modi`s Oct 15 Kanpur rally postponed
Kanpur: BJP prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi`s October 15 rally here has been postponed as the date is clashing with two religious festivals.
The new date for the rally will be announced soon and is expected to be October 19 or 20, the Kanpur unit of the party said.
The decision to postpone the rally was taken in a meeting with BJP president Rajnath Singh and party general secretary Amit Shah in Delhi last evening, convened to review preparations for the rally, BJP Kanpur president Surendra Maithani said.
As Dussehra would fall on October 13 or 14 and Bakr-eid on October 15 or 16, it was decided to postpone the rally, he said, adding that the new dates for the rally are likely to be either October 19 or 20, depending on the availability of the Gujarat Chief Minister.
Three lakh people are expected to take part in the Kanpur rally, Maithani said.
Kanpur BJP wanted to hold the rally in a railway field in Nirala Nagar, but Railways refused to accede to the request, Maithani said.
The arrangement for a venue of the rally still needs to be made, he said. Other options for the venue include the Moti Jheel field and Brajendra Swaroop park, he said.
According to BJP Kanpur Zone incharge, Bal Chand Mishra, BJP will win all six seats of Kanpur if Modi starts his election campaign from here, as people will come from far to listen to him speak.
Congress MP and Coal minister Sriprakash Jaiswal has won Lok Sabha elections from Kanpur for last three times and is expected to win this time too.
BJP has not yet announced its Lok Sabha candidate from Kanpur.
SP has announced stand-up comedian Raju Srivastava as its candidate, while BSP has nominated youth leader Salim Ahmed to contest the polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what