Narendra Modi`s projection: RSS leader meets Advani, Sushma, Rajnath
New Delhi: Seeking a consensus on Narendra Modi`s projection as the Prime Ministerial candidate, RSS has held confabulations with top BJP leaders, including LK Advani, who is said to have reservations on the issue.
Senior RSS leader Suresh `Bhaiyaji` Joshi held talks yesterday with Advani, amid a strong pitch by some sections of BJP for early announcement of Modi as Prime Ministerial candidate, sources said here on Monday.
BJP President Rajnath Singh and senior party leader Sushma Swaraj, who is also said to be opposed to Modi`s projection as the party`s PM candidate, were also present during the meeting that took place at Advani`s residence, the sources told PTI.
Joshi is learnt to have discussed with them the need and timing for projecting Modi as the PM candidate.
The meeting was part of efforts to end resistance within the party over Modi`s anointment as the prime ministerial candidate.
An RSS leader said a decision on Modi`s projection, which is believed to have the support of a majority of party leaders, would be announced once BJP manages to achieve "consensus" on his name as is the "tradition".
"The (Sangh) family is agreeable to Modi`s choice but we would wait for the party to propose his name," he said, outlining RSS` stand on the Gujarat Chief Minister`s projection as PM candidate.
The development comes against the backdrop of strong pitch by some sections of BJP for early announcement on Modi`s projection.
Arun Jaitley, Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha, had recently said the sooner Modi`s name was announced the better it would be for the party`s electoral prospects.
Advani and Swaraj are said to be against Modi`s projection as they believe it would polarise the electorate and take attention away from the numerous failings of UPA government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17