Narendra Modi`s visa application will be considered if he applies: US
Washington: The US on Wednesday said that if Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi applies for a visa, his application will be considered in accordance with the American immigration law and policy.
"If (the Gujarat) Chief Minister Modi applies for a visa, his application will be considered to determine whether he qualifies for a visa, in accordance with US immigration law and policy," State Department spokesperson Jen Psaki told reporters at her daily news conference.
"Our policy on this has not changed," Psaki said when asked about the Modi`s US visa application.
"I think I just said we will consider his application if he applies, and I`m not going to get ahead of where we are at this time," she reiterated, when asked for the second time during the news conference.
"But as you know, we don`t talk about the specifics of that process or individual cases, but he would, of course, be considered if he were to apply," Psaki said.
The State Department`s remarks came as the visiting BJP president Rajnath Singh was winding up his three-day hectic visit to Washington, during which he met a host of US lawmakers, think tanks and academicians.
Singh told the Indian-American media here that he did not raise the issue of Modi`s visa with the US.
He said that this is an issue for the US Government to take a call on.
"This is not our issue. This is an issue for US Administration," he said.
Responding to a question, Singh said Modi is a "very very" popular leader of the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!