Narendra Modi’s work recognised world over: Rajnath Singh
New Delhi: BJP President Rajnath Singh on Friday heaped praise on the party`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi, saying his capabilities as a leader are recognised across the world.
"We have chosen the most popular leader in the country as our candidate for the PM`s post. His work is recognised not only in India but across the world," he said at a meeting of party`s Sports Cell.
Noting that sports need a sound government policy which was lacking presently, he said his party would give it special attention and come out with a detailed policy for its promotion if voted to power.
"We will have to acknowledge that sports have been neglected in India since Independence. We will have to change it," he said at the event in which several sportspersons were honoured.
"Our dream of becoming a superpower cannot be realised without the country excelling in sports," he said.
He cited the success of countries like the US, China, Japan and Germany in Olympics to stress that overall development of a nation goes hand-in-hand with excellence in sports.
Taking a dig at the UPA government over the Commonwealth Games "scam", he said it brought disrepute to the country.
Singh, however, praised sportspersons for their performance and said it came as a relief to the country which was embarrassed due to the revelations of the scam which, he said, was pegged at worth Rs 7000 cr by CAG.
Recalling his tenure as UP Chief Minister during which he actively "encouraged" sportspersons and gave government jobs to many of them, he said some of them are serving at senior positions.
Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore, who had bagged silver medal in shooting in the 2004 Olympics and had recently joined the BJP, was also present on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says