Nariman praises Katju for his article critical of Narendra Modi
New Delhi: Press Council of India (PCI) chairperson Markandey Katju, under attack from BJP leader Arun Jaitley, has been praised by noted jurist Fali S Nariman for his newspaper article which was critical of Narendra Modi.
In an email to Katju sent on Friday, before the war of words between the BJP leader and the PCI chief erupted, Nariman said the article was "outstanding".
"I already telephoned and told you how pleased we were with the article in this morning’s HINDU, but I must place it on record. It is an outstanding (article), it needed to be said by a person who doesn’t merely pretend to support human rights but lives it every moment of his life," Nariman said.
Jaitley and Katju were on Sunday locked in a bitter war of words over the latter`s article with the two asking each other to resign.
Jaitley dubbed Katju as "more Congress than the Congress" and said his attacks on non-Congress governments whether in West Bengal, Bihar or Gujarat seem more in the nature of "thanks-giving" to those who provided him with a post- retirement job." He demanded that Katju resign from his post.
The PCI chief, a former Supreme Court judge, hit back at Jaitley accusing him of twisting facts and asked him to quit politics.
Modi also waded into the row accusing Katju of looking at Gujarat with a "jaundiced eye" and said Jaitley`s counter to the former Supreme Court judge was "insightful" in demolishing "lies" spread about Gujarat. Modi`s response came on Twitter.
Rubbishing charges of being partisan, Katju said he had written "very strong" letters to Congress-ruled Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan over the arrest of two girls for a Facebook post after the death of Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!