Naroda Patiya riot case unparallelled in modern society: HC
Ahmedabad: Terming the killing of 95 people
in Naroda Patiya area of the city during 2002 riots as
"unparallelled in modern society", the Gujarat High Court has
said such incidents "undermine the very foundation of law".
The observation was made recently by Justice Abhilasha
Kumari while rejecting the bail application of Subhashchandra
Darji, an accused in the 2002 Naroda Patiya riot case who was
arrested by the Supreme Court-appointed Special Investigation
Team (SIT) in November last year.
"The present case is not comparable with any ordinary
case. The background of the case and its effect on the public
cannot be overlooked," the court said.
"In fact, it is a case of wanton, mass carnage, almost
unparallelled, in modern society. Such offences invariably
have a negative impact upon the larger interest of the public
and the State and undermine the very foundation upon which the
edifice of rule of law is built," it noted.
Darji was employed with the Gujarat State Road Transport
Corporation (GSRTC) in 2002 and was working in its workshop at
He is accused of throwing burning rags on residents of
Hussain Nagar Chawl. Out of the 95 killed in the Naroda Patiya
area, 58 were from the Chawl.
Darji`s advocate, during the course of hearing, had
submitted that his client was in custody since November 2008
and his wife was facing hardship as his pension was withheld
by the government.
Darji was not named in the FIR filed in the case in 2002,
but was arrested following investigation by the SIT.
Two witnesses whose statement was recored by SIT had
The court while rejecting his bail application said,
"witnesses have clearly implicated the applicant and the
existence of a prima-facie case is clearly indicated from the
material on record against the applicant (Darji)."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly