Naroda Patiya riots verdict will spread good message: JD(U)
New Delhi: NDA ally JD(U) today welcomed the judgement given by a special court in Ahmedabad sentencing BJP MLA Maya Kodnani in Noroda Patiya massacre--the worst of 2002 post-Godhra riots-- saying it "will spread a good message".
"I am very satisfied. This country has seen many riots, but for the first time people who committed this act have been punished. This judegement will spread a very good message," JD(U) chief Sharad Yadav told reporters here.
Yadav said "several riots took place in the country, including in Delhi, but no punishment ever took place. But for the first time, Special Investigation Team (SIT) set up by the Supreme Court made it happen."
Another party MP Shivanand Tiwari said the judgement will have a "positive impact on the psyche of the minorities" and congratulated the witness for braving all odds and depose against the "powerful accused persons".
"Perhaps this is the first such incident in the country in which the conspirators of communal riots have been punished. Had the perpetrators of the communal riots been punished in this manner in the past, it would have discouraged such unfortunate happenings and communal riots would not have continued to take place in the manner they did," Tiwari said.
JD(U) is running a government in Bihar in alliance with BJP for the last seven years and there had been a number of instances of sparrings between Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi and Bihar counterpart Nitish Kumar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Yogi Adityanath's speech on his first visit to Gorakhpur after becoming UP CM
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?