Nasheed remains in Indian mission for seventh day
Male/New Delhi: With less than 24 hours left for Mohamed Nasheed to be produced by police before a Court in Male, India Tuesday said it would be the "happiest" if the situation arising out of ex-Maldives President taking refuge in its Mission for the seventh day in a row is resolved.
Nasheed, who is holed up in the Indian High Commission to evade an arrest warrant, is scheduled to be presented before the Court by the local police at 4 PM tomorrow.
Speaking to reporters in New Delhi, External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid, who has in the recent past spoken to his Maldivian counterpart a couple of times, said Maldives is a very close friend of India.
"There is unusual stress caused by local conditions. We just wish them the best... I would certainly endorse any method and any means by which the present situation can be resolved," he said.
The Minister added: "I think it is actually not a matter that gives any sense of satisfaction and if it gets resolved, we will be the happiest".
As part of the ongoing consultations, the Indian High Commissioner D M Mulay has in last few days met Thasmeen Ali, leader of the Dhivehi Rayyithunge Party (DRP).
The DRP is now the second largest party in Maldives with 22,687 members and a key constituent of the coalition government headed by President Mohamed Waheed.
Mulay also met prospective Presidential candidate of Progressive Party of Maldives (PPM) Abdullah Yameen. PPM, the party belonging to former Maldivian ruler Maumoon Gayoom, has the third largest membership.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read